Materials you will need:
- understand the meanings and purposes of mandalas in other cultures
- learn to use a compass
- use radial symmetry in artwork
- develop fine motor skills and craftsmanship
- personal expression
1. Start by showing and discussing mandalas around the world. There is a slideshow linked above or create your own.
2. Demonstrate how to use a compass. Create three to five concentric circles starting from a point in the center of your paper.
3. Repeat patterns all the way around your circles using radial symmetry. Radial symmetry: repeating shapes and patterns evenly from the center outward. Draw the big shapes with pencil first.
4. Use Sharpie or fine point markers to color your designs.
5. Cut out and glue to a colored background that accentuates your design.
I thought I would try something different in my blogging style today and write it up more like a lesson plan with goals and materials. Is that helpful or do you not really care?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, but I only link to products I recommend.