I was given the book How to Survive as a Firefly from Innovation Press to share with you on my blog. This is a pretty cool book, with nice illustrations and good scientific information throughout the book. I wrote a FREE art project tutorial with drawing guides, available at my TPT shop to accompany this book. The directions are also here in this blog post, but to get the drawing guides you’ll have visit my TPT shop.
Here is a sneak peek of the book. If you are reading from a blog reader or email, you may need to click on over to the actual blog post to see this.
Start by reading the book How to Survive as a Firefly.
From the publishers: “How to Survive as a Firefly provides a unique take on insect science that will entertain and educate in and out of the classroom. Full of opportunities for extended learning, this book includes fun facts hidden throughout the hilarious illustrated story – and after, a glossary of important terms and some real photos of fireflies. If you’ve ever wondered how these fascinating beetles grow and glow, and you like to laugh while you learn, this book is for you!”
1. Use the drawing guides provided to draw a page of fireflies. Use pencil first and draw lightly so you can erase if you need to.
2. Outline with black Sharpie marker. Color in solidly with crayons or oil pastels. Using Sargent fluorescent oil pastels will create a nice “glow” for the fireflies.
3. Using watercolor paints, paint the background with various shades of blue and purple.
4. Leave the artwork as it is. Or, cut out around the fireflies (leave a little bit of space around the fireflies).
5. After cutting, arrange the fireflies on to black paper using glue or adhesive dots. The 3-D adhesive dots will raise the fireflies from the paper, adding extra dimension.
6. Cut and attach all of your fireflies to the paper. Use metallic gel pens to draw doodles on the black paper.
Get the drawing guides and printable directions for the Firefly Art Project here.
I also made a coloring page packet for fun, which is available here.
Check out the book on Amazon here: How to Survive as a Firefly .
For more activities based on the book How to Survive as a Firefly, visit the Innovation Press website.