I feel like I have stumbled upon my newest art series for my own art. Earlier I wrote a blog post about how to make watercolor doodled flowers. Using a similar technique, I made watercolor mandalas. I have a new painting to show you with watercolor and doodled stars. These were all made by starting with watercolor paints and then doodling on top with thin markers.
Products I Use (Amazon Affiliate links are used)
- Prima Marketing Watercolor Confections: Tropicals
- Prima Marketing Watercolor Confections: The Classics
- Sakura Koi Brush Pen Set
- Sharpie Permanent Marker, Fine Point
- Sakura Micron Ink Pen Set, Black
- White Molotow Paint Marker
1. Start by lightly sketching stars with pencil. Keep them loose and rounded if you’d like.
2. Use watercolor paints to paint the stars. I like how watercolor looks when more than one color is blended together. While one color is still wet, drop another similar color on top.
3. Use a sharpie marker to begin outlining the stars.
4. Use the black Sharpie to add details, designs, doodles and dangly things to the stars. Doodle around the edges and also create some patterns and designs on the insides.
4. Use a thin Micron pen to make additional doodly details.
5. Use a white paint marker to make accents and embellishments on top of the colored areas.
Here are my finished stars! This technique can be used with any type of shape… hearts, flowers, lettering.. the possibilities are endless.