Paper mache Rattles- Kindergarten
The kindergartners made paper mache rattles after learning about Native American rattles. We viewed a Powerpoint about the rattles used in Native American ceremonies. The students made their own rattle which could be used for music and dancing. We were not trying to copy the rattles, but use them for inspiration.
Here are the steps:
1. First, tape a paint stick to the inside of a paper plate.
2. Put beans on the plate.
3. Tape another plate on top.
4. Use brown kraft paper to paper mache on top of the rattle. Make sure everything is really secure and taped well, so no beans can escape. (I wish I had taken more pictures of the progress of these.)
5. Paint the wooden paint stick.
6. Cut out a construction paper circle to fit on the top of the rattle. Draw symbols (Native American or your own) on the paper using black marker and construction paper crayons). Hot glue the paper to the rattle.
7. Finally, tie on yarn, raffia, beads and feathers for added decoration.